Friday, December 6, 2013

Ski Season 2013-2014

View out the back window.

While we were hiking in Moab, the ski resort opened on Thanksgiving this year! Which is HUGE. Fingers crossed for a lot of snow this winter. If what we've gotten so far is any indication, we are in for a real treat this year!

Andrew has already had two awesome powder days this season, but tomorrow will be my first day on the mountain. Tonight I feel nervous excitement. I'm always nervous before the first day of ski season. I think it's a combination of hoping I remember all of my skills from last year and not feeling too rusty and some residual feelings of anxiety from all of those years when I found skiing to be terrifying.

I'm excited for the new season, being outside in the fresh air, the amazing views from the mountain, challenging myself in new ways, continuing to improve and seeing how much better I'll get this season. I'm also excited because skiing is SO.MUCH.FUN. The feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that I feel after a difficult run, the adreneline, the wind rushing past my face, the sound of my skis swooshing on the groomers, the singing and joking on the chair lift, the absolute pure joy of a powder day. It's going to be an awesome winter!

This is my fourth year of skiing. I've been working diligently to build my skills with a solid foundation toward the goal of becoming a really good skier. For me that means being comfortable on all the runs on the mountain and being confident, in control and precise while doing it.

I spent my first year taking a couple of lessons and practicing as much as possible. When I started, I had been skiing a few times before but I had never had any instruction. Unlike some people, I didn't find that skiing was intuitive so I really had no clue what I was doing. The lessons helped me feel comfortable with the basics, and my instructors gave me enough guidance to practice on my own every weekend. Non-skiers often remark to me that they are scared to ski or would feel out of control. This has definitely not been my experience. If you feel this way, do yourself and everyone on the mountain a favor and take a lesson. My instructors helped me know how to maintain control and realistically assess my own abilities so I didn't end up on a run that was out of my league. They also taught me defensive strategies just in case I did find myself on a difficult run.

My goals for this year are to improve on the moguls and link together lots of turns without having to slow down or stop and to ski more tree runs. The trees are the most fun! I honestly can't believe how far I've come in the last few years. Unlike past years when I couldn't visualize myself skiing the runs I wanted to, this year, I feel really confident that I will meet my goals.

And just because I think it's tons of fun to look back on how far I've come, here is a recap of my skiing journey showing just how far I've come in the past two years.

2011-2012 Season
Our first therapy session on the slopes
Take two(!) and starting to exercise my courage muscles
The pay off
Learning to take it all in stride - there will be good days and bad days
My new obsession: going for it
Proud of myself

2012-2013 Season
Visualizing success
I was so lucky to take the women's ski lessons last year. We met every Wednesday for three hours for eight weeks. I learned so much, and by the end of the season I was feeling comfortable in the trees.

Can't wait to see what the 2013-2014 season brings!




6 comments:

  1. I hope you had so much fun and that your courage muscles were flexing!! Haha...
    ~~~Felish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun, but super cold. I think this weekend will warmer - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. I skied a little bit when I lived in Europe, but haven't done it since then. If only we lived near the mountains... Good luck with your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! Certainly sounds like you've mostly reached your goals of being comfortable, confident, and in control! Just working on the more precise with the trees and moguls. The mere thought of moguls makes me sweat. Becoming a better skier is definitely on my to do list in the near future. DH is a stellar snowboarder - jumps and all. He has been taking our oldest son (now 5) out on the ski hill to learn the past couple of years. I'm thinking I need to get on it while I can still learn with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy -
      moguls made me sweat too until a couple of years ago. Honestly, before I really started skiing, my biggest fear was the chair lift. but slow but sure I've built a good foundation.
      I recommend lessons to feel more confident. At our mountain, they have lots of packages for beginners but it also includes intermediates. So, often, when I signed up for a group lesson, I was the only intermediate and had the instructor to myself. It was a really good deal and really the only way that I was going to feel comfortable advancing.
      I bet your son is getting so good. The kids on the mountain are impressive! They have no fear and really go for it. They definitely don't hold back.

      Delete

Hey, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...